The Great Knucklehead Cylinder Controversy


Since the title of this blog is Knucklehead Theology, you are probably wondering why so little has been said about Knuckleheads so far. Not to worry, having owned and ridden Knuckleheads for over 25 years, and drag raced them for about 15, there is plenty to come.

Today I would like to talk a little bit about Knucklehead cylinders. We have all heard the horror stories of broken Knuck cylinders. And it is my guess that there are nearly as many theories as to why they break, as there are those stories. I am not going to claim to have the definitive answer, only theories of my own. This is one that I would love to have comments from others with their own thoughts.

The first time I saw a knuckle cylinder break, was while attending Motor Cycle Mechanics school at Hutchinson Area Vocational Technical Institute in about 1979. One of the other students (a Triumph guy) had brought in a Knuck chopper to work on for a friend of his. The engine that he had was a 61", but it had cylinders that were bored out to 74" plus. I don't recall exactly how much plus they were, but it would not surprise me if they were +.060 or +.070.

That is not unusual to find, but it does leave you with very low compression. There are no 74" bore pistons that are made for a 61" stroke (at least not that I have ever found), which leaves you stuck running normal 74" pistons. The only problem with that is due to the difference in wrist pin location and stroke between them, the 74" piston will be nearly a 1/4" lower at TDC than a 61" piston. (61" is 3 1/2" stroke/ 74" is 3 31/32")

Don't know if it was the owner's idea, the student's idea, or the instructor's idea, but someone's solution was to shave material off the base gasket surface to get the pistons closer to the top. I winch just thinking about it now. One wrinkle was that before the engine was assembled, another student bought the bike! The results were predictable. After the new owner finished assembling the engine, during initial start up, one backfire while kicking broke the cylinder off at the base! As a side note, the new owner bought a set of used 61" cylinders which were also at a 74" bore. He rode the bike for one season, and then sold me the knuckle engine when he bought a new "crate" Shovelhead motor. I ran that engine for many years and many, many miles with that ultra low compression.

The next time I had occasion to see an "exploded" knuckle cylinder, was a case of being in the right place at the right time. I happened to pull up to a stoplight behind another knucklehead. As the rider attempted to pull away in a quite normal manner, his front cylinder lifted. Of course I pulled over to see if I could lend a hand. This was in about the mid 1980s, so my memory is less than clear, but I do believe that the part of the piston which unfortunately was now in full view, was badly scored.

Fast forward about 10 years. While not a knuckle, the next broken cylinder that I remember seeing shares some similarities. This was on an old Pan/Shovel stroker belonging to one of the owners of the shop I worked for at the time. It had a set of +.070 stock cylinders. This one I took personally, because I had recently bored the cylinders. This one too had a badly scored piston skirt. (I believe that the scoring was due to the cylinders being powder coated after boring them which may have distorted them)

Soon after this, another acquaintance on his knucklehead had a cylinder explode while accelerating from a stop sign. As best as I can recall, this also had a badly scored piston. (I do not believe that I had anything to do with building that motor)

It should be obvious by now that all but the first incident that I related had one thing in common (at least if my memory serves me). That, of course is that in each case the broken cylinder was accompanied by a scored piston. As far as I know, they all shared one other thing in common; a large overbore on the cylinders.

Somewhere along the line a customer brought me a set of +.060 Knuckle cylinders to check for him. Looking at the bore I found something quite interesting. The bore had actually turned blue between the fins. Honestly, you could see where the fins were from the inside because the spaces between them was blue! For years after this I avoided boring Knuckle cylinders more than +.050. I just knew that if the cylinders were thin enough to turn blue like that, they had to be on the verge of exploding.

I am not so sure anymore. Over the years I have had the pistons score badly on my wife's 61" Knuckle numerous times, for numerous reasons. At least one set can be chalked up to the manufacturer. I saved the little instruction sheet that came with the pistons which called for .001 clearance. A couple more sets of identical pistons gave similar results. Then another set of identical pistons came with a similar little instruction sheet which called for .003 clearance. Oops! Another set went because we went for a weekend trip with a group of friends when the engine was fresh, the weather hot, and the speeds excessive. Another I attribute to a burned out head gasket sucking air. Well, you get the idea. But no matter how many pistons we scored with that 61", the thick cylinders held up fine.

Maybe I should point something out here. When I speak of a "scored" piston in a Harley, it is in reality a piston that has seized. The reason that in most cases the engine does not stop, is because of the extreme weight of the Harley flywheels. If pistons "scored" like this in any other motorcycle engine the motor would be stuck tight. Understanding that this piston scoring phenomena is actually a piston seizing phenomena should really shed some light on the broken knuckle cylinder issue.

Add to this, some anecdotal evidence from my 74" Knucklehead. I have run it for many years at +.050. I never was willing to bore to +.060 for the above mentioned reasons. Each time I have had it apart, I have honed it to bring it back to straight and round. I think that the last time I put it together it was with about .008 clearance on a set of high compression cast pistons. Never a bit of problem, and I run it very hard!

So here is the big question. Are the stock Knucklehead cylinders just too weak to be safe when bored much oversize? Or is the real culprit the mechanic that set them up too tight, causing it to seize? Well, before you go blaming your local mechanic, keep in mind that he probably sized your cylinders to specifications. Its not really his fault if factory specs give bad results, particularly if he does not do many Knuckleheads. Furthermore, too tight set up specs is only one possible reason for your pistons seizing. Anything that adds too much heat, or removes too much oil can give the same results. (think timing, idling in traffic, oil breakdown, etc.)

Are the "cheap" reproduction cylinders prone to breaking too? I really don't know. Some would say that they are. Part of the problem is that most of the information we have will be anecdotal (I can't believe that I am actually going to use that word twice in one day). Since a failure like this tends to be catastrophic, most who experience it once will be leery of taking any chances of it happening again. My guess is that if you had a +.070 break on you once, you would be sure to replace it with one as close to standard as possible rather than making some adjustment and using another +.070.


Well, it looks as though I am going to have to make this into two posts. In the second half I will offer my thoughts and attempt to offer some solutions. In the mean time, I would love to hear from any of you who have had Knuck cylinders break, and the circumstances.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top