Dual Cam Springer Brake

The dual cam Springer brake has been a bit debated lately, so are they better than the single cam brake or complete crap?

My personal experience is; the one to the right is the terrible one that makes people talk shit about them, I spent days timing the cams trying to dial it just right, I switched brake shoes, I even got the brake shoes relined. And still, all it ever gave me was a slight feeling of acceleration when hitting it = the one to the right is complete shit. *Note the differerences between the left and right brake's shoes.

The brake to the left in this pic on the other hand is the good one, acctually the very best Springer brake I've ever had, but it took a few tricks; I had to mount it in an original brake drum, then reline and grind the shoes to fit. Note how the shoes pivots at totally different locations, there's quite a few more differences that may be hard to tell from looking at the photos but there's just NO comparesion when it comes to braking performance.

Here's the good one mounted on the FLTT after I got the shoes relined, grinded and fitted in an original brake drum. Also, every aftermarket wire I've tried stretched like a rubber band and never really stopped stretching giving the brake that spongy feeling. A NOS wire will do miracles here.

After timing the cams and dialing it in perfectly this brake setup will still need a few miles to get that 100% solid/consistent feeling. So if you're about to get one of these brakes, at least now you know my limited but hopefully helpful experience about them...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top