Rally Days

My dear old late Dad was a bit of petrolhead, I guess it must run in the genes. Once he had settled in the Black Country, home to the British motor Industry in the 1960s and 70s, his fascination with football, music and cars was allowed to flourish. He worked for a company named Beans Industries in Tipton, they were famous for making cars and trucks in the 1920s and also built the record breaking Thunderbolt for George Eyston in the 1930s. By the early 1960s they were part of the Standard Triumph group (later to become British Leyland) producing automotive castings and components. They also had a great social scene, which included a car club, the B.I.A.C (Beans Industries Autombile Club).

My Dad got right into it, taking part in treasure hunts, social nights and days out, but he got his real kicks from driving in Rallies, especially night stage rallies in Wales. We used to have some trophies, but they have gone astray during house moves, so the only evidence I have of his rallying exploits are these photographs of him driving his prized Austin Cooper in Wales in 1967.
This was our first family car too, so it led a double life. Commuting in the week, racing at weekends and even the long journey down to Weymouth on the South coast during my school holidays, what a hard life that excellent little car had,
Tackling a ford in March 1967.
Once the Mini Cooper had served its purpose, it was replaced with this Ford Anglia. This car had an interesting life for a family car too. It was rallied at weekends, raced around Mallory Park race track on a couple of occasions and once ended up on its roof in a Welsh Forest. When Dad tried to get out he realised he was on the edge of a steep drop and could roll over at any time. One of the marshalls saved the car and occupants from danger by carefully wedging a can of soup under the roof while Dad and his co-driver got out and the car was put back on its wheels. I was about 5 years old at the time, but I can still remember my Dad coming home while I was having my sunday breakfast, and being fascinated by the big dent in the roof. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top